January 10, 2012

A book review, yarn worship, and my adventures in design.

I recently purchased my first knitting book, Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I'm so glad I got it, it has the simplest patterns for common projects in different sizes and gauges. It's easily readable with little charts so you can easily keep track of which size and gauge you're working on. It has mittens, gloves, hats, socks, and sweaters, all the basic garments any knitter will want to make, written in a simple manner with suggestions for different edgings. This book is a must for any knitter who wants to get a little creative with design, yet who has neither the skill nor inclination to make up a pattern completely from scratch. I decided to start with making the gloves, as I had worked up a simple pattern to put on the back of simple gloves.


This is my design, the symbol for the Locust from The Gears of War games.
I'm working the gloves at a gauge of 7, men's size L for my darling boyfriend, Cody, who was generous enough to spend $50 on the yarn for the project. The yarn is Simplicity by HiKoo, owned by Skacel Collection, Inc. The yarn is 55% merino wool, 28% acrylic, and 17% nylon. It feels fantastic to work with and I love how it feels after it's knit up. It's my new favorite yarn. I'm using the Gypsy Red for my MC, and Black and Seattle Sky for my contrast colors. I'll be working the pattern in intarsia, my first time using the technique in the round. Planet Purl has a how-to video demonstrating how to work intarsia in the round.




The baby hat is still half finished, the small stitches in the lacework pattern are a bit tricky and my hands get sore if I work on it for long stretches. I decided to take a break to knit the gloves, since I've been wanting to make gloves for a long time, and I feel like I am definitely ready, now that Ann Budd has explained gauge to me in a way I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment